Okay, now that I have my little "introduction post" out of the way, I can start talking about what's really going on in my garden right now.

My current garden plot is surrounded by rocks and approximately 12' long and maybe 18' wide. I have laid mulch throughout the whole garden since I do completely organic gardening. It's too hard to keep up with pulling the weeds without the mulch, even with the mulch I have to go out there to clear weeds at least once a week, it does help though.

The current veggies, fruits and herbs that I have growing in my garden plot include: Green Peppers, Yellow Peppers, Corn, Cuban Oregano, Dill, Watermelon, Yuca, Cherry Tomatoes, Lemon Balm, Spearmint and Chives.

The current flowers I have growing in my garden plot are: Marigolds, Roses (dark pink & light pink), Alyssum as a border, Sunflowers, Nasturtiums, Morning Glories, Zinnia, Red & Yellow Aster, 21st Century Phlox, Geraniums, Pink Cosmos, Mirabilis Jalapa (Four O'Clock Flowers) and Petunas. I think that's it for the flowers? The flowers listed are currently the only ones in BLOOM, I have about 15-20 flower pots starting flowers and other plants as well.

I have been harvesting MANY seeds from my 4 O'Clock Flowers (aka Marvel of Peru) and Morning Glories along with my 21st Century Phlox plant. I am still looking out for seed pods on my other flowers.

My goal is to have a tropical haven of a backyard with tons of colors, fruits and butterflies.

I currently have Butterfly Weed aka Milkweed starting in a pot but once the leaves start coming out, the butterflies lay eggs and before you know it, they're munching away on the baby plants. If you don't grow them inside, you have to do daily inspections and scrape the eggs off of the leaves to prevent caterpillars eating the whole plants before they get to somewhat full grown stage. Butterfly gardening will be my next post. :)


This entry was posted on 11:33 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: