Oh my goodness Gracious, the updates I have to tell you all about my garden!!! The bees and butterflies are loving me right now. Where to start!? Well, I brought home some pencil cactus from my Mother's greenhouse and started the two cuttings I have in my backyard. The pencil cactus are very cool, inside them there's a white sticky glue which is actually a milky white stem latex that is a local irritant and can cause rather strong discomfort, so take care when handling. To start propagate a new cactus from a cutting, you cut it just below the node on the plant. With this particular type of plant, after cutting it, you just set it down on a clean surface until the glue on the cut end has dried, and once it does, you plant it into fresh soil. I really hope my cuttings take and they develop into 6ft. tall plants!!
When I came home, I was very happy to see many of my plants flowering, my giant african marigold had the biggest blooms I have ever seen on a marigold. My dark pink and red Crysanthemums were in bloom and oh so gorgeous! And my butterfly weed!!! I have never had so many flowers and such healthy, leafy plants! They are starting to seed and I see many, many pods forming. It's rare for my butterfly weeds to flower or seed because my monarch caterpillars usually eat them all up before they get a chance to. My new puppy loves eating caterpillars when I'm not looking though (LOL!!!) so because of him, my plants have actually had a chance to grow.
I also have some big, beautiful Nasturtiums which have lily pad like leaves, they have yet to flower though. My herbs are all doing fantastic as well!!!
That's just covering a few of the many flowers, fruits and veggies I have growing in my south Florida backyard. I will try to update more often as the beginning of Spring is here and my plants are LOVING IT! So am I! XOXOXO Happy Gardening!











OH!!!! And my ALOE flowered!!!! This is very rare! I planted the seeds today, I hope I get a few sprouts!!! :)



This entry was posted on 4:17 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: